Wednesday, 6 August 2008
Flying by the Seat of My Pants
It is moments like these that colour my life in the sky.
It was a peaceful Saturday afternoon in Melawati. We were at home after enjoying a walk up the hill and a late breakfast, sorting out our guest list, when my Singapore mobile rang. It's quite common for me to receive calls on that mobile when I'm out of the country from people dialing the wrong number, so I was unfazed when it rang.
Control had called with a message. I keyed in the necessary to retrieve my message while trying to guess what it could be about. (It couldn't have been about a flight, my standby session would only start the next day at 0000. Today was my clear day off and I was sure of it. I had timed my visit home so that I will be back in Singapore in time for my standby period).
After listening intently for a few minutes, it turned out that they were indeed activating me for a flight and I was required to report at 12:15 midnight! Still quite surprised, I quickly logged onto the web to check on more details. I was going to Moscow and Houston for nine days! But more importantly, could I make it back in time to prepare?!
I needed to start getting ready two hours before reporting (at 10:15pm) and Aeroline would get me home only by 10:30pm (I was scheduled to catch the 4:30pm bus home)! It could have been possible, but that would be cutting it extremely close, something I wasn't willing to risk.
My mind was racing, trying to figure out a better way to sort this out. Without a second to lose, Ernest suggested we catch the 3:00pm from Pasar Rakyat, which would help me gain at least an hour more in Singapore. We both packed (he too, all prepared to send me all the way to Singapore as the last resort) and headed to town. Heart and mind still racing, trying to push out all the possible could-go-wrongs.
It really helps to have a level-minded person with you in such a pickle. Someone who, as an "outsider", thinks more clearly and has the same understanding of how crucial the situation is. Someone with humour also helps liven up the situation as much as possible, helping you make the most of it.
We made it to Pasar Rakyat 10 minutes to 3:00pm. But the buses at 3:00pm were going through Woodlands. Not great in time-saving. We opted for the 3:30pm bus.
Throughout the journey, all I could do was count and re-count the hours I had left just to be sure I got the timing right. Worry, anxiety, excitement.
But good things do really work out for those who love Him (not without us making an effort too, of course).
Even after an unexpected delay at the immigration checkpoint and road closures all over the city (for the Singapore national day parade rehearsals), I made it back in time to pack, prepare for flight and take a deep breath.
I could now start looking forward to the flight.
Thank you God!
Another story-telling moment to mark this part of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WA... i also can feel my heart racing reading this! Hehe. Glad it all worked out well. Can't wait to hear about your updates on your trip to Moscow and Houston!
ReplyDeleteAWWWW!! And that is why you guys are a perfect match and getting hitched!!
ReplyDelete