Sunday, 28 September 2008

Just one of those incidents

...that seem like a blur now.

A blur because the rest of my day before and after it happened seemed absolutely normal.

It was one of my off-days and I had planned to meet up with Nicole for lunch. I had great sleep and woke up naturally at 8am, which gave me plenty of time to spend online and do whatever else I needed to before getting ready for lunch. I was determined to be on time.

I gathered my items, took a last look in the mirror and left. On the way down the lift, I had a sudden thought "My bag seems emptier today", but didn't give much thought to it.

The MRT ride to Kembangan was smooth and I was glad my timing was great! I was thinking about my flights and wanted to refer to my schedule. So I reached in for my purse. But it wasn't there. No worries, it happens a lot with big bags. I just need to search around with my hand a little bit. But, it really wasn't there! Uh-oh.

A quick call to Nicole and I headed home to get it. Sigh. What a waste of effort trying to be on time. Almost an hour late.

Lunch was fantastic and the careless incident was behind me. I hung-out at Nicole's after lunch, waiting for the right time to leave for church at Paya Lebar. Nic had left earlier to catch F1 with another friend. So, I was left to lock up the place.

It was 4:30pm and just the right time to catch the MRT and bus to Trinity. I gathered my stuff, locked up and left. And just then, I thought, "Imagine, wouldn't it be such a mess if I left something behind? I don't have her keys, only a lock". Oh well, it was just a thought.

During my journey, I had at several times wondered what Ernest was up to and wanted to sms him. And all those times, I thought, "Nah, I'll bug him later after service".

I was just about to step off the bus when I realised...uh-oh, my phone is not in my bag! It's okay, it must be the big-bag syndrome. Look again. Not there! *Slight panic with underlying calmness*.

It's okay. I don't wanna miss service, so I'll go ahead and catch Wanz after service (we had planned to meet for dinner after service). No worries, I'm sure the phone is at Nicole's. Besides, I can't do anything else but head back to get the phone. I can't remember Wanz's number, so the best bet is to meet her first, then head back to Nicole's to get it before dinner. Ok, set.

And so, I sat through service determined not to let the potentially disasterous incident affect me. Potentially disasterous only what if the phone is not at Nicole's or when I go back to get it no one's home. It's okay, it'll be alright once I meet Wanz and tell her I'll be late for dinner.

Wanz was part of the team encouraging people to sign up to serve. She was on stage and I saw her. No worries, I know what she's wearing, I'll lookout for her after service eventhough she's probably sent me an sms I can't receive.

Looking... looking. Up the stairs, down the stairs, to the sign up booth. No Wanz. Asked someone and she said Wanz had left. Hmm..that's odd. She wouldn't leave without meeting me.

But what else was there for me to do but get hold of my phone. I was uncontactable otherwise. So I headed back to Nicole's, all the time praying that her housemate who I'd met earlier would still be home. It was a Saturday night. For the sake of finding my phone, I was hoping Kiran didn't have a social life.

I arrived at Nicole's and there was only one light on. Knock-knock-knock. No one, but I heard my phone ring from inside! Small relief.

Maybe hitting the window is better. Higher pitch, so may be more audible. Knock-knock-knock. Still no one. I spotted a laptop on the dining table that was still on, so someone must be home! "Kiran! Nicole!". Bang-bang-bang. Nope, nada, no one.

By this time, my phone had rung several times and I knew someone must be worried about my whereabouts. The computer hasn't even gone on standby mode. This person must be around the area. I'll just have to wait for he/she to come back. So, I took out my book and read. By this time I had mentally prepared to forego dinner with friends and wait out here till someone came home.

Ten minutes later, the lift chimed and out stepped Kiran! I could have hugged him if I weren't that sweaty (it was an unusually hot and humid day and I had sweated, cooled down and sweated several times that day already) and if I actually knew him. He opened the door and there it was, my darling mobile perched on the armrest.

Made quick calls to make sure plans were in order and people weren't filling out missing person's report.

Once the night turned into a time of fellowshipping and laughter, the odd incidences that happened just faded away, as if only part of my imagination.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear...what a day! Thank God everything were right where you found it! :)

    You're gonna be married soon! yeay! :D excited? If you need help or favours, lemme know k?

    See you again when you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i didn't even know this happened!!! Thank goodness Kiran was around!! The computer was mine and it doesn't turn off ....Sorry you had such a terrible runaround!

    ReplyDelete