Saturday, 19 September 2009

Highlights in London

193. The number of steps it took me to get from the platform to street level at Covent Garden station.

A few tube stations in London, the lift and stairs are the only way to exit the station. It just so happened that when I was on my way to meet Kenneth, one of the only two lifts at Covent Garden had broken down. There was a large sign pointing towards the stairs. Great! That's the fastest way out. I'm always up for taking the stairs, especially when I have a comfy pair of flats on. See you all, lift-suckers!

It was a spiral staircase and round and round I went until I could feel my heart pumping through my ears. *wheeze*. I looked up hoping to see a hint of the street. *gasp* Stairs. I looked down and contemplated going back down and waiting for the lift. A few steps later, I found others in the same predicament I was in, stopping mid-way to catch their breath and cursing the choice they made.

When I finally reached the top, I felt like a drowning person catching her first breath of air. It was not until I met Kenneth that I found out it was 193 steps, information had apparently been put up but in finer print under the large sign saying "TO THE STAIRS".

Lesson learnt: Always, always! look for the fine print.


Belgo. Tag-lined "The world's greatest Belgian restaurant", it is known for its mussels and houses a variety of fruit beers. I had a generic pot of mussels with a tomato-based sauce and Kenneth had a platter of grilled mussels with cheese and spinach. Belgo uses black-shelled mussels, similar to the ones found in Australia.



After having tried the green-lipped ones in Auckland's Occidental (also a Belgian restaurant), I have to say Belgo's is not at par. However, the ambience and service is great, and it's a suitable place to meet up with friends.


Chicago. "Never leave London without watching a musical", has been my motto since my first experience with London theatre. This time, it was Chicago. I don't know which came first - the movie (starring Richard Gere, Rene Zellweger, Catherine Zeta Jones) or the theatre version. Both are great pieces of entertainment.



Unlike some muscials, where they try to incorporate dialogue into a song and fail miserably (i.e. Evita starring Madonna), Chicago has been very tastefully written. I appreciate the simplicity of the stage set and costumes because it further highlights the portrayal of the characters. The songs are just wonderful. Go see!


Kensington Gardens. A perfect place for a picnic lunch or to simply enjoy the weather. I spent my departure day here having lunch and catching up with a few chapters in Changing Hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment