When I first started flying, the fear of not being able to return to a place urged me to see as much as I could on my first visit. While that worked out well for some destinations that I never got to return to, it kind of killed the joy for those I would return to over and over again like London.
It was a good thing Kenneth suggested a few places I had not been to and re-ignited my desire to continue discovering new things about London.
Greenwich. Nearest tube: North Greenwich (Jubilee line).
This was probably the furthest I had ventured out in London. Most of the time there is enough going on within the city to occupy my time here. This time round, I had a mission: To hunt down the board game Settlers of Catan. It must be a pretty rare game to find considering the request was to look for it specifically in UK or the States.
Since it was not available in Hamleys, the largest toy store in town, Nicole found a games shop in Greenwich that carried it and so to Greenwich I headed.
The Circle and District lines were not in service that weekend, so it took me a little longer that it probably could have to locate the shop, but I enjoyed the bus rides.
Greenwich (the G in GMT) is located in the south-east of London and is known for its maritime history. The National Maritime Museum is located here and admittance is free. If museums are not your thing, then perhaps you can enjoy the beautiful greens of the Greenwich Royal Park surrounding the museum.
This town is also home to one of the most state-of-the-art concert arenas called The O2 where Rihanna's concert and Dancing On Ice is scheduled to take place. The O2 is easy to get to, located just beside the North Greenwich station.
Greenwich is quaint and rather quiet, an excellent place for students. Markets were probably where the majority of the people were concentrated that Saturday morning.
The Market I visited was located in a compound surrounded by speciality shops. Stalls selling unique clothes, accesories and decoratives filled the square. According to a local, there used to be more markets spread out in Greenwich, but over the years they have consolidated to a few key ones.
The Greenwich Market had smaller section allocated for food, where each food stall represented a different type of cuisine, no mixed up mumbo jumbo.
I had a dumpling stuffed with vegetables from the Carribean. The "dumpling" was a deep-fried dough and tasted something like doughnut, the vegetable stuffing was tasty and slightly spicy.
Leaving the market, I took a walk in Cutty Sark Gardens along the Thames. Small area, but refreshing. No wonder its a popular hangout place for teenagers.
Borough Market is all about food; fresh or cooked, wholesale or retail. Nearest tube: London Bridge (Jubilee and Northern lines), Borough (Northern line). One of the largest food markets in the world, it comprises two parts; Jubilee and Green markets. I've been told that over the years, the number of stalls selling ready-to-eats overtook those selling fresh goods. Make sure you visit this place with an empty stomach!
Chorizos (Spanish sausages) seemed to be a popular theme with the outlets. Many had long queues and people were more than willing to wait for a taste of juicy heaven. I opted for something less common that caught my eye. Seared scallops!
At least two inches in diametre, these seafood medallions were seared on a grill with minimal salt and served on stir-fried beansprouts, topped with bacon. For £4.50 you get three big juicy ones with orange "lips" still attached. Wonderful.
There were a lot more interesting finds like seafood curry green curry cooked in a large wok and cheese aged in wine, homemade preserves, truffles and mulled wine (spiced wine served warm, similar to the one we found at the Frankfurt Christmas Market).
Timing couldn't have been better for this chocolate lover. The annual London Chocolate Festival was held the very weekend I visited at Southbank Centre Square, just outside the Royal Festival Hall. Nearest tube: Waterloo (Bakerloo, Northern, Jubilee and Waterloo & City lines), Embankment (Circle and District lines).
This is the event where chocolate makers, both established and amateur, exhibit their cocoa goodness. Admission is free and a variety of activities like demonstrations, tastings and book signings by masterchefs and chocolatiers take place.
One can find cocoa in all forms here from gourmet to homemade, sweets to savoury (yes, there was Mexican and Chilean food with cocoa), and ready-made or bring-home-to-make.
I bought some luxury Belgian chocolate easter eggs from Galler for the family and to commemorate the event.
We took a walk along the Hungerford Bridge across the River Thames, overlooking the magnificent city lights.
After wondering around the city for almost an hour, Kenneth and I settled on dinner at Bodeans in Soho on 10 Poland Street, where the ribs have been claimed to be the best in town. The place was jammed pack and we settled for counter tables at ground level.
We shared a slab of pork ribs and burnt ends (BBQ beef bits) and a dozen buffalo chicken wings at diablo (spiciness range from mild, hot to diablo). Boy, did they make me tear!
They were delicious, but I still prefer my chicken wings chee yau char crispy just the way Ice Cold Beer does them. *smuck*
A walk around Picadilly and *burp* later, I was ready to head back to zonk out.
No comments:
Post a Comment