...horse meat!
This was about a month ago at a little japanese restaurant Kazu Sumi-Yaki in Cuppage Plaza. It has taken me this long to blog about it because 1) I still can't believe I ate horse meat - one of my beloved animals; 2) Afraid I'd get stoned by other horse lovers.
And, what's worse, is that I ate is sashimi style! Not just one slice, but a four!
An old friend brought me to one of her favourite Japanese restaurants that serve what I term unconventional Japanese food. Not that it's unusual, but it's just not the typical commercial bento sets you see in most Japanese restaurants around. As a fan, I was excited to try something new. I spotted horse meat on the menu and asked her "they actually serve horse meat here?!".
Before I knew it, she ordered a portion and the waitress was on her way to deliver the order to the kitchen. What have I done?
When the dish arrived, I was suddenly overcome by curiosity and the fact that the horse was already dead, so why not. I balanced the red-and-white slice of horse flesh and dipped it into the thick sesame oil accompaniment. Closed my eyes and started to chew, trying not to breathe in and all the while thinking I can't believe you're doing this, Janice. A horse!
It was very fatty. Red, with pockets of white fat all over the slice of meat. Ordourless and quite tasteless. All I could taste was the sesame oil and the fatty texture of the meat, very much like oily salmon with a lot of connecting tissues.
Poor horse. Never again.
However, Kazu Sumi-Yaki is a must visit, fan of Japanese food or not. But not without a reservation.
Kazu Sumi-Yaki Restaurant
No. 5, Koek Road
#04-05 Cuppage Plaza
Singapore 228796
Tel: (+65) 6734 2492
Horse meat,huh? About a month ago I was in Melbourne and about the same way you had your horse meat ordered, my friend ordered croc meat. I felt quite icky that I actually ate it. Taste? Gamey but taste-wise, I was too busy chewing and swallowing to analyse.
ReplyDeletewow, you are really getting to know about foodie places in Singapore! I need to get to know them from you!!
ReplyDelete