What makes the Moulin Rouge the Moulin Rouge? Costumes, costumes, costumes! Of course there're also lights, dancing and lip-syncing.
High kicks and all, I didn't think the choreography was what made the Doriss girls stand out. The audience didn't "wow!" at the splits and acrobatics, they wow-ed at every new costume that appeared on stage. They were just fabulous!
All set and ready to head to Montmartre (Blanche train station) for dinner and the show
The crowd was a mixture of foreign and local tourists and couples on dates. I was welcomed with service like what I imagined Julia Roberts received the moment she turned into a lady in Pretty Woman.
The hall was bustling with people talking over dinner and background music from a live band. The interior was something to admire. It was cosy and every corner had something worth staring at, be it the sparkling curtains, the artistically painted walls or stage props and gadgets.
Dinner was at 7pm and the show at 9pm for a good two hours. The chorus dancing was interspersed with separate acts from a unicycler, juggler, ventriloquist and a-lady-who-swims-with-snakes (yes, the forward stage also doubles as an aquarium).
Though costly, it was a worthwhile experience I would recommend to anyone visiting Paris.
Notable Sights
Basilique du Sacre Coeur (church of the Sacred Heart) situated along Rue de Chevalie on a hill in Montmartre. Its Romano-Byzantine architecture with moorish-like domes could have it mistaken as a mosque from afar. Unlike churches in Germany, the French tend to be more particular about rules for visitors in church (eg. no photography).
I paid 5 euros to go up the highest tower and climbed never-ending stairs that caused my calves to ache two days after. The view was worth the effort.
I did the tourist thing and took a tourist train (like the one in Zoo Negara) from Sacre Coeur to Pigalle and back. It was also 5 euros for a half hour tour of the area including the most expensive vineyard in France, the very first French cabaret house and the red light area (between Blanche and Pigalle train stations).
Eglise de la Sainte Trinite, a church with a garden, which I passed by on my walk from Montmartre to Place de L'Opera.
Opera Garnier, Paris' opera house near Galleries La Fayette, another shopping area apart from Rue de Champs-Elysees. Gold statues, beautiful. Enough of the green copper ones already.
Walking along the Seine river towards Notre Dame. It was a beautiful sunny day and people were relaxing by the river.
My last stop for the day was Notre Dame. It was packed with people both in and outside the church.
I took a good 15 minute break sitting around with the rest of the crowd outside the church. A young man started strumming his guitar and belted songs by Oasis. He had pretty good voice, but it must have been his good looks that got him tips because as I observed, most of those who tipped him were young girls.
As with all popular tourist spots in Paris, there were gypsies milling around, hoping to trick tourists into giving them money. They are quite identifiable, though. Just spot those in long bohemian skirts and head scarfs holding a piece of paper going around asking tourists if they speak English. What's written on the note is a plea for money.
This shot is of a gypsie lady trying to talk the street basker into giving her money. Not very smart considering street baskers are also trying to get people's change.
Nosh
My best meal this round was lunch at a restaurant called La Marmite in Montemarte. I spent 26.50 euros on a three-course meal that inlcluded escargots, leg of lamb (served with the most fantastic potato chips) and creme brulee.
Wow....all looks good!! Did anyone catch the Moulin Rouge with you?
ReplyDeleteNope. I went to watch it alone. Most of the crew would rather spend 500 euros on a bag rather than 150 on the show :p OR, maximise the free internet.
ReplyDeleteI've become quite accustomed to travelling alone and kind of prefer it (as opposed to travelling with those with different interests).
Janice, I recommend you hit Laduree for macarons the next time you're in Paris, or even La Maison du Chocolat for hot chocolate (dee-vine!) which is above and beyond Godiva.
ReplyDelete