****************************************************
September 12, 2007
Once the decision was made, I waited for the company to put up their recruitment ad for Malaysian applicants. In the meantime, I got the necessary documents together - passport picture, full-length picture, education certificates - and mentally prepared myself for the possibilities.
Unlike the recruitment drive in Penang, applicants in KL were requested to send in their applications for short-listing. I suspect it's because usually receive plenty more applications from KL than anywhere else in Malaysia.
The application process itself was an experience to remember.
May 1st - Application
Send in my application form via email.
June 4th - The Email
I receive an email requesting for an interview. We are requested to bring along originals and copies of our identity card, birth certificate, and education certificates; two passport-sized photographs and swim wear.
June 10th - Day One
I get a bit spiffed up in my pants suit for the interview. Make up, a must. Hair up? No need lah. Just as it always is should be fine.
As I drive pass the hotel lobby (to get into the carpark), I spot very well-groomed ladies entering the hotel. Hair up in true stewardess style, face made up in typical stewardess hues. I check my do in the rearview mirror. Can lah! I might not get in anyways, no need to put in SO much effort, I tell myself just to ensure I'm not overconfident. Park, blot blot blot, a fresh coat of lipgloss.
The ambience on the 1st floor was abuzz. It reminded me somewhat of auditions for reality shows I'd seen on TV before. Smiley, anxious applicants arrive with parents and boyfriends.
Group Interview
All applicants are ushered into a waiting room where our names are called in groups of 10. A guy takes our height and weight to check against our application forms. We are then ushered into a room with a interviewer who asks us to introduce ourselves and say something about Singapore.
Then, one of the coordinators announces "For those whose names I call, please stay on. For the others, thanks for coming". Sounds quite brutal for those whose dreams have been crushed just because of a few English sentences they spoke, or try to speak. From my batch, only two of us are selected out of 10. I'm grateful.
Uniform Fitting
This only applies to female applicants (duh!). The guys need not try out any suits. Two of us are brought into a room with mirrors and portable changing rooms. The uniforms are custom made to fit each flight attendant. So, the samples they brought were from previous attendants and we were warned might not fit us perfectly.
I scan the rack and select what I think might fit me, put it on and realise how small chested this previous stewardess must have been. The shoulders fit, the waist fits, but zip zip zip, sigh, breath out, ziiiip! We are then asked to put on matching sandles and walk towards the examiner. She checks our walk, our fore arms and nape for no visible scars or marks.
Both Sue and I are still in.
One-on-one Interview
This was the longest wait ever. Applicants chat, get to know each other, exchange stories and how many times each of us have applied. Before this, I never expected that people try more than once and multiple airlines for a job in the sky. Again, I'm grateful.
A well-groomed, eloquent gentleman interviews me. I answer honestly. He allows me pass this round.
Water Confidence Test
Everyone knows that planes could possibly land (or crash) on water. Hence, the test. In addition to conquering fear of heights, every flight attendant has to be confident in water. This was done after a lunch break. We are asked to change into our swimwear and adorn the inflatable device, jump into the deep end of the pool, swim to the other end and back with all eyes on us, including the holiday makers at the hotel.
Out we get from the pool, body-conscious, and the examiner makes us do a walk across the poolside. How embarrassing! But this is a once-in-a-life-time-live-to-tell situation and I do it with my most confident I-don't-care-that-I-have-jiggly-thighs facade.
To wrap up the day, one of the coordinators announces "For those whose names I call, please return for an interview in two weeks. We will email you the details. For the others, thanks for coming".
June 24th - Day Two
I arrive and I see a fellow applicant standing in the coridoor, looking down. I'm too anxious to get over my own interview, so I go in and report attendance. 10 minutes later, it's my turn. I enter the room to see two interviewers. They are friendly and ask me why an experienced PR person would want to become an air stewardess, what my parents think of it, and whether I know the "lowly" cleaning jobs in store for me. I answer honestly, and get through. Thank God they accept me for who I am!
Next thing to do is a medical check-up with their panel clinic.
-----------------------
My medical check-up was a thorough one.
Seven long weeks later, the company finally contacted me to find out how soon I could start training. Yay!
Lord, thank you for favour.
Now the adventure begins.
*********************************************************
No comments:
Post a Comment