Monday, 1 November 2010

Final Flight

I am extremely blessed to have things fall into place with such good timing.

My goal to secure a new job before year-end has been met, thanks to The Greater Power, no doubt.

I couldn’t have asked for a better flight than Frankfurt-New York to end my stint with SQ. And I couldn’t have asked for a better set of crew to be on this flight with.

“Our SIA Project”, as E and I termed it, is finally coming to an end and it is not without a heavy heart that I leave the airline. I am saying goodbye at the point where I feel most comfortable with the job, when I have been enjoying generous rosters, when I can ride to the airport without a hint of anxiousness. And when I am more than half way to my gratuity.

For all those reasons, it was at times hard for me to persist at the job hunt. Over the past year, I have had to push myself to continously apply for openings and attend interviews, which sometimes left me feeling defeated. But I just knew it was move on now or never.

It is easy to say that things just fell into place and that “everything happened for a reason” now that it has. But when we are in the crux of the situation, with no clue of when the end may be, it is often hope and faith that keeps us going.

For me, it was the vision of a life where my off days were in sync with others (ie. having weekends and public holidays), in a role that would compel me to learn more, to further push my boundaries.

For that I had to be okay with the idea of waking up at 7am five days a week, jam-packing with fellow peak-hour commuters, taking a pay cut. Once decided, it was with the “okay, let’s do this already!” attitude, prayer and consistent encouragement from E that I pressed on in search of the company.

I am glad that that process is over. And that for the last two weeks I have had the time to absorb in and appreciate what I will miss about being an SQ cabin crew. And soon focus on the new role that lies ahead.

Just before "Cabin crew, to your landing stations."


To all those who played a part to making my training, flying and travels an experience of a lifetime, a big thank you and safe flights always!

No comments:

Post a Comment