Thursday, 6 December 2007

The Donut Craze

If you want to truly experience Singaporean culture, you have to join in one of the crazes. Yes, one of the crazes, as in, there are many. The hottest thing to line up for these days are sinfully sweet, freshly deep-fried donuts.

Wei Ling and I were at Novena last weekend and she had the sudden craving for donuts. She's not a person who's proud to be a liner-upper, so she sheepishly suggested "Should we get some donuts from Donut Factory for later?"

"You mean from that famours one where the line is super long?" I asked, slightly surprised but equally interested.

"Yeah, they have a shop here and the line is not as long as the one in Raffles City."

"Ok!"














I managed to sneak a shot of the store (above), although I was told later by the unfriendly cashier that it was not allowed. I wanted to get a closer shot of the donuts we bought.















Here's (above) a photo of my selection - Coffee Roasted Almond, Double Chocolate and Kaya White Chocolate. Wei Ling and I tranfered out donuts into separate plastic bags, ditching the oh-so-recognisable Donut Factory box, to sneak them in to the cinema! Oh come on, don't tell me you haven't snuck food in before.

I'm not a donut connoiseur, but I have tried Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Cremes and so far, the Donut Factory tops them both. This is simply because they are soft and moist unlike Dunkin' dry ones. It also wins over Krispy Cremes because the Krispy Cremes I had were flown in all the way from Sydney and had to be warmed up in KL before consumption, so I suspect, they were not in the best of shape to be judged.

However, I've been told by many that Crispy Creams wins hands down, so I'm looking forward to my first flight (to Sydney) to get hold of some fresh ones.

The one below is of Wei Ling with the box of donuts. For once, we were the people who others noticed were carrying the donut box. It is blur because Wei Ling was trying to get away from being photographed carrying "the box".


1 comment:

  1. over here in Pavillion, the line is never ending, any time of the day at this chain called J.Co. I havent been able to try it coz i'm def not a liner-upper!

    ReplyDelete