Sad, right?
But before you pity me, read till the end.
I had been mentally preparing myself to be in the Work mode for Chinese New Year. No going home, no ang pows, no Chinese New Year cookies. Instead, I was going to be up in the sky serving passengers who were happily travelling on their way home.
True enough, when I checked my roster, I was put on Standby for cho yat and cho yee. As if it wasn't enough that we didn't have a choice but to work, Standby meant I could be called up for any destination at any time within those two days.
I became numb to the "Aiyoh, poor thing, you sure get called up wan" in reply to my "No, I'm on Standby for two days" when people asked if had New Year's off.
Coincidently, my off day from the Manila flight fell on New Year's Eve and parents decided to drive all the way to visit. Unfortunately, so did the flu bug. And it hit me hard, despite popping in Panadol Cold Relief tablets (I discovered it's much too mild! Go for Clarinase) and drinking lots of water.
Things started to get better, though.
I checked on my Standby status and to my delight found that I was called up for Male !!! (It's one of the islands belonging to Maldives. And yes, there are females too, not just males, as Justin aptly clarified with me. It's pronounced as Ma-Ley)
So, eventhough I had to go off for a flight while my parents were here, it was a good destination and short enough one to be back in Singapore while they were still here.
Adding to the goodness. My body felt okay despite the flu doing its worst on the Eve. It must be the magic endorphines released in our brains once loved ones are around.
Mum and Dad brought Malacca chicken rice down and Mum prepared a simple New Year's Eve lunch complete with yee sang. (I don't look sick in the picture, do I? :p)
My sporty parents drove down with two new bicycles on their roof top, all set to explore the leisure cycling routes around my area.
Yes, they managed to convince me to join them despite the flu, not having a bike and not having cycled since... I can't even remember (You're right, Ernest, I felt better after a "sick workout". Don't be green, I'll go cycling with you next time too, k. ;p)
A mother's home-cooked meal for the sickling always does the trick. In our family, the vegetable dish is always larger than the meat dishes.
Watch this space for my Male post!
No comments:
Post a Comment