My first flight this year was to Seoul, South Korea. It was my second visit there and fond memories of my previous family trip there made me all the more excited (especially food-wise).
Soon after check-in, we took a 10-minute ride in the hotel's shuttle bus to Itaewon, our first shopping destination. The street was full of boutiques recognisable international brands. The first to hit me as I alighted the bus was Crocs!
Our goal there was to find a specific shop that embroiders names onto luggage tags. There were many many shops that provided that service, but we were looking for the one, which according to my colleague had the best design selection and workmanship.
After placing our orders, we headed back to the area near the hotel where we had the best grilled mackeral (sabaI in Japanese, ikan tenggiri in Malay) have ever tasted. We were each served a whole foot-long fish, rice and soup with four condiments to share - kim chi, shredded seaweed marinated in sesame oil and onions, and picked vegies. All these for only KRW6000 (SGD10)! The fish was well-grilled with just the right amount of seasoning, crispy skin and juicy flesh, not overcooked and dry.
After dinner, a few of us eager ones wanted a taste of Myondong, another shopping district that opens until 10pm. I was on the mission to find a specific shop called Tony Moly, which sold the best mascara, according to my flatmate. She drew me a map on how to get there and with those directions, I was confident the shop would be staring me in the face.
This was how busy Myondong was and the street was filled with various cosmetic brands. How to find Tony Moly?
How else to better find a cosmetic shop than to ask their competitors :p I found it, tested out the mascara, grabbed 10 sticks. I got shocked looks for that, even though the little shop was crowded. The best part was, they were going at 40% off! woo hoo! I went back to grab another five more. Mission accomplished.
I enjoy Seoul for the many food stalls on the five-foot way, namely their deep-fried glutinous rice pancake (with sweet cinnamon and peanut filling) and rock-toasted cuttle fish and octopus tentacles. Yum!
My breakfast the next morning was at a shop nearby the hotel. Samgyetang was perfect for the cold winter morning, eventhough it was traditionally meant to be a summer dish. Also known as Ginseng Spring Chicken, it is prepared by stuffing a spring chicken with a piece of ginseng wrapped around sticky rice in clear soup.
To top off the great trip, I had the opportunity to meet up with Joyce and Michiel at the departure hall just after arriving in Singapore just before they were due to leave. My flight arrived 40 minutes ahead of time, so I had a whole hour with them, which was wonderful considering the next time we meet would be many months from now and after she'd given birth.
Rare and precious moments.
remind me never to look at ur blog b4 lunch... :P~~~~
ReplyDeleteit makes me REALLY hungry for good food.
hey, first time seeing you in the kebaya! :) you look great, as always. Wow, 15 tubes of mascara? dont they have expiry?
ReplyDeletehey i have the same luggage bag with my name embroided on it. my best fren who's also in SIA got it for me :)
ReplyDelete