A few colleagues and I tried to make the most of it by maximising our time there. But, the most we can do within four hours, really, is just shopping and eating around the hotel area. Luckily for us, the hotel was situated along Silom Road and the Patpong market was within walking distance.
Immediately after check-in, the four of us rushed upstairs to change and headed down to the lobby. They were determined to find themselves a shopping mall to load up on cheap stuff. Robinson's, we were told, had cheap ladies' undergarments. They spent quite a bit of time at the supermarket, so since I was there, I thought I might as well pick up a few things.
- Thai instant noodles
- Thai Mulberry and Jasmine Tea (the bottle attracted me and so did "Mulberry")
- A few shoe bags and satin pouches from Naraya (a Thai brand that produces satin products like make up bags, etc. A crew must-buy).
- Dark Chocolate M&Ms (first time seeing it - purple packet some more!)
- Dark Chocolate Maltesers! (also my first)
What's a visit to a new place without trying their local food, right? Dinner was at a make-shift stall by the road side.
Very tasty clear chicken noodle soup (sans the mei cheng).
The redish brown bits you see on top is a spoonful of dried chili flakes to give the oomph!. It was interesting to note the condiments provided on the table - dried chili flakes, dried chili flakes in oil, sour garlic chili sauce soya sauce and sugar. Sugar! To quench my curiosity about the sugar (since they didn't serve coffee or tea there), I saw a fellow patron scooping a full tablespoon of sugar into his chicken soup. Hmm.
After the galivanting, we crashed in our rooms and I had only two hours' sleep before waking up for the first morning flight out. It's quite amazing what the human body can take, especially when the mind is in control.
Going to pou fan my sleep now.
Seeing this makes me missed the many servings of papaya salad (som tum) & grilled chicken I would eat during my internship in Phuket & during our second honeymoon in BKK!
ReplyDelete